11/25/09

Christmas Gift Idea

"I hate Christmas!"
said a lady as she walked through the church doors.

"But why?" I asked.

She spelled it out for me: "Because I watch everyone else spend it with their family and friends, and I have to go it alone. I hate singing 'Joy To The World' when I feel sad and lonely."

I thought to myself; "the Gringe must be real. He stole this poor lady's Christmas joy"

"Merry Christmas" I said to another family walking through the doors. They were newly arrived migrants. They smiled bravely, but their teary eyes had a glossy shimmer. I noticed that the wife was holding a wet tissue in her hand. This would be their first Christmas alone, far away from the big family gatherings they used to attend.

Most of the folks who walked though our church doors that day were happy and looking forward to our Christmas Day Service. Everything was ready. A sermon had been prepared. The right songs were chosen. There would be coffee and eats afterwards.
I wondered... when this is all over, where is everyone going? What will they be doing? I'm sure the majority would be gathering somewhere with friends or family. They'll be eating nice food. Kids will be playing with their new toys and it would be a day to remember.

I thought of the lonely lady.
I wondered about the newly arrived migrant family.

"The church should do something!" I said to myself.
But I quickly realised that church is made up of people like you and me. We are the church.
I felt God tapping me on the shoulder and asking "What are you going to do about it?"

I quickly checked with my wife, and we both agreed that the obvious things to do was to invite those folks to come along with us for the day. "Just grab some snacks and come hang out with us. We'd share whatever food we had with you."

And that's the happy ending.

No - not really. The grumpy lady declined. It seemed she had alreay decided to have a lonely christmas day and no one was going to take that away from her.
The migrant couple felt a bit unsure at first, but with some encouragement they agreed to come. And we made some new friends that day.

* Let's determine this year that no one in our church will spend christmas alone. Open up your home or 'picnic event' to others. We can reveal glimmers of God's love and kindness by giving 'the gift of an invitation.'

Luke 2:10
The Angel said to them, "Do not be afraid.
I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people."

No comments:

Post a Comment