5/6/09

“Blood Thirsty!” [PAY BACK TIME!]

When you're ready to take revenge,
remember this number: 12-12-21 *(explained at the bottom of this blog.)



Ps 58:10 “The righteous will be glad when they are avenged, when they bathe their feet in the blood of the wicked.

Seen from the viewpoint of a pastor, dwelling in the church, among God’s people, feeling love and giving love – this psalm doesn’t fit the frame. My Christian paradigm is knocked over by the blood thirst and anger and revenge of Ps 58 – But if I go over to David's viewpoint: A king, ruler, defender, warrior, man of God in battle – then I can see that David called on his God to give him victory over his enemies and let justice be done.

I’m not that different from David, really. Deep down, behind my spiritual countenance, I too cry out for justice! I too rejoice when the wicked get some of their own medicine. I love it when evil is put in its place!
- One thing Ps 58 teaches us though, is to leave this revenge up to God (see v. 6 & 7). David calls on God to do the “vengeance work”.


Prayer:
Lord – in this world we see a lot of injustice, evil, calamity. I pray for a heart like David. To be able to pour out my fervent desires for justice to You – and then to rejoice when I see my God balance the scales. You will make all things right. I can but only cling to You through life’s storms.


* (Romans 12:12-21)
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Consider turning to this passage in your bible, then mark / highlight every sentence that talks about revenge. This 12-12-21 number is worth remembering!

No comments:

Post a Comment