9/10/09

GOD SHOWS HIS HUMAN SIDE

Psalm 22:14 “I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me.”
At first glance, I read this Psalm and I’m struck by the lament of King David – feeling forsaken by God. But the more I read it, the more I see it to be a 'Messianic Psalm' – pointing to Jesus and His suffering. The bible say that Jesus had been tested in every way (Heb 4:14-5:10). He knows the pain and burdens that we bear.

He felt the humiliation of being stripped naked, spat upon and ridiculed.
He felt the pain of physical torture; beatings, His beard being ripped from His face, His body being flogged... the crown of thorns... the nails... being hung on a cross.
He felt the pain of rejection... His disciples ran away in His our of need, the very people He came to save turned on Him, demanding He be crucified. Even His Father turned His back on Him while He hung on the cross, bearing all our sin on Himself.
Then He felt the sting of death.

In this Psalm I can take courage in pain/misery – for He’s been there – done that.

Prayer: God – thank you for showing us Your “Human” side. And I know that no matter what I go through in life, You understand, and You help me through it all.
P.S. Jesus rose again from the dead, conquering death, and removing it's sting. We also have this hope that even though we endure hardship or even death, there is life thereafter. Eternal life with Him, where there is no more sickness, pain or death.

No comments:

Post a Comment