10/22/09

The short facts on Psalms.

Thank the Lord for Psalms.

It's probably the most read of all the bible books. When we’re looking for something to write in a sympathy card or want to send a word of encouragement, we often turn to Psalms. How often do we hear Psalm 23 read at funerals? It's a comforting passage to so many.

As a pastor I do a lot of home visitations, and I must admit, often times my bible readings come from the book of Psalms.

As a song leader, I often do the Call to Worship from Psalms.

The book of Psalms is the longest book in the bible. It is filled with prayers, laments, praise and adoration.

The longest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 119.

The shortest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 117.

Interesting enough, if you were to calculate the middle chapter of the whole bible, it would be Psalm 117. It consists of 2 verses:1 Praise the LORD, all you nations; extol Him, all you peoples. 2 For great is His love toward us, and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever. Praise the LORD.

The book of Psalms (chapter 1) starts of by showing us God’s way of blessing – by living life His way.

The closing chapter (150) commands us to Praise the Lord. Praise Him for all He has done, for who He is. Praise Him with all kinds of instruments.

God at the start, God in the centre, and God at the end. He is the focus of it all. A meaningful life begins with Him. He's to be the central point around which our whole life revolves. And when all is said and done... and I breath my last breath here on earth, how marvellous will it be to think I have lived a life that brought Him glory, and so will I praise Him even in death.

This reminds me of some wise words I've read and believe in with my whole heart: The chief end of man is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever.*

*(The Westminster Shorter Catechism - 1647)

No comments:

Post a Comment